Saturday, July 26, 2014

Una Semana en Madrid

On Monday I took the Teleferico across a section of Madrid and got to see a great view of the city.  It was extremely hot in the car, but fortunately I had my fan with me!
 This is a view out the window of the Teleferico car.  In the distance you can see the Royal Palace of Madrid and the cathedral right next to it.
 As I enjoyed my return trip on the Teleferico I looked down and noticed a rose garden.  I investigated further and wound up walking around in the Rosaleda de Madrid.  The color of this rose reminded me of my mother-in-law and I just had to post this picture for her.
 After leaving the rose garden I continued walking through the park and ended up here, at the Temple of Debod.  I didn't actually go in, but it made for a good picture with the sun in the background.
 On Tuesday we went down to a part of Madrid known as La Playa.  In this picture we are inside of a very modern and decorative bridge that draws your attention from far away.
 This is another view of La Playa, located just down the hill from the bridge.  There are several of these water fountains and it is a lot of fun to watch the people, children and adults alike, run through the water and enjoy the sun!
 On Wednesday Sarah and I took the afternoon to go down to the Royal Botanical Garden.  As we were walking to the garden we walked past a set and got to watch as they filmed what we can only assume was a commercial.  We don't know what the commercial was for, but we had fun watching and can only hope that we might actually get to see the commercial air some day.
 After our walk in the gardens we went to a restaurant called 100 Montaditos.  While we were there this clock tower struck 8 o'clock and these six figures (including the dog) came out of it and performed a little bit of a show.

On Thursday night Ana, Laura, and I (along with a few others) took a guided tour with Leonor around Retiro Park.  

 We learned a lot about the history of the park from Leonor and enjoyed people watching and strolling around at a time when there weren't quite so many people present.
 On Friday night Ana, Sarah and I did a wine and tapas tour and flamenco show with a tour group out of Madrid.  The flamenco show took place at a small place call Las Tablas and was absolutely phenomenal.  Unfortunately this picture does the show no justice, but it was an amazing show with four very talented entertainers.

 Today I went with a group of about 25 people to a wine cellar to learn about the wine making process.  The bodega was called El Hilo de Ariadna.

 Down in the labyrinth of the bodega we came upon this minotaur.  Thankfully we escaped with our lives!
 This is a picture from the outside of the bodega.  The family who started the bodega is named Yllera.

After visiting the wine cellars we traveled into the town of Valladolid to have lunch and explore for a bit.  This is a beautiful fountain right near where we got dropped off for the afternoon.

 After lunch we walked around a bit and found this gorgeous park and rose garden right next to a river.  Valladolid is a gorgeous town and I truly enjoyed our time there.
Tomorrow we will visit the traditional Sunday market in Madrid, El Rastro.  After that I have two more days of classes and then I will be heading back to the States on Thursday!  How quickly time flies here in Madrid!

No comments:

Post a Comment